PLEASE NOTE: All CMIT modules have now been withdrawn,
and are unavailable for the 2010/11 academic year
These web pages and lecture notes are left as reference for those students requiring CMIT modules to complete their programme only, and are not an indication of modules currently offered.
- Pictures of CD cover designs are available at http://www.freecovers.net/
- ? 1998
- 'A day in the life: Abbey Road Interactive', in Computer Arts
vol. 20 July pp. 64-69
- Profile of the Abbey Road (EMI) CD cover design company with examples.
- ? 1998
- 'Vaughan Oliver and V23', in Computer Arts vol. 21 August pp.
- Profile, with examples, of a CD design company formerly with the independent record label 4.A.D.
- ? 1999
- 'Red Design', in Computer Arts vol. 27 Jan pp. 82-84
- Profile of a CD cover design company, with examples and explanations of how they did some.
- ? 2003
- 'Create Amazing Images', in Computer Arts Aug. pp. 22-28
- The design process for a CD cover for the band Universal Panzies.
- ? 2004
- 'The art of Punk', in Computer Arts June pp. 46-48
- The influence of 1970s Punk designer Jamie Reid on the design of CDs, e.g. the very influential covers for the Sex Pistols.
- Atkinson, V. 2005
- 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' in Computer Arts April pp. 50-52
- The story behind the radical design for the 1967 Beatles album and how it influenced future record and CD cover design.
- Dennis, T. 2006
- 'Beck's The Information album artwork' in Computer Arts Nov. pp. 28-29
- The design of the CD cover and packaging for the album The Information by Beck.
- Design Library 1996
- Music Graphics
- Collection of recent CD designs, and music posters etc) Temporary Reserve Collection.
- Gordon, B. and Gordon, M. 2003
- The Complete Guide to Digital Graphic Design 001.6443
- A very good book discussing the various problems of screen and paper-based design using computer methods. Sections include a discussion of designing CD packaging (pages 98 following).
- Grannell C. 2005
- 'Album Cover Art', in Computer Arts Christmas. pp. 70-75
- Design of CD covers, with interviews with actual designers and examples of designs.
- Grant, I. 1991
- 'An art in packaging', in Graphics World May, pp. 18-20.
- Hall, D. 2006
- 'Falling fees for album design', in Computer Arts Sept. pp. 26-27
- The effect on CD album design caused by the growth in downloading music. Main effect is the reduction of budgets available for album design.
- Hill, M. 1986
- 'Managing Design for Shelf Credibility', in Graphics World March/April, pp. 51-55.
- Intro 2003
- Radical Album Cover Art. Sampler 3 726 INT/X
- Full of examples of CD cover design. Excellent source of inspiration
- Nowicka, H. 1995
- 'Sex with minors', in Independent on Sunday 5.11.95 (photocopy)
- Discussion of using sexual imagery to sell classical music.
- O'Connor, R. 1998
- 'Stylorouge', in Computer Arts vol. 19 June pp. 54-60
- Profile of a CD cover design company, with examples and explanations of how they did some, with a Web site as well.
- Ramshaw, M. 2005
- 'Get started with... DVD design', in Computer
Arts Dec. pp. 70-75
- The design of DVD packaging.
- Sharpe, R. 2001
- "Copyright for illustrators", in Computer Arts Feb. pp. 44-47
- An informative discussion about what comes under copyright as regards illustrations and text.
- Smith, M. 1980
- 'A look at British rock album cover design', in Graphics World
- Despite the date, a useful article.
- Walker, C. (ed.) 1995
- 'Putting Music in a Box', in Graphics World Sept/Oct pp. 22-24.
- West, D. 2005
- 'Blue Note records', in Computer
Arts Dec. pp. 48-49
- The CD designs of the Blue Note jazz record label.
- Webster 2003
- 'Copyright', in Computer Arts May pp. 58-62
- A very good and understabable discussion about all the issues surrounding copyright relating to design and art matters. A very good website about this type of copyright exists in the form of the Design and Artists Copyright Society.