PLEASE NOTE: All CMIT modules have now been withdrawn,
and are unavailable for the 2010/11 academic year
These web pages and lecture notes are left as reference for those students requiring CMIT modules to complete their programme only, and are not an indication of modules currently offered.
Since logos and advertising overlap, do look at the advertising bibliography as well.
- An excellent web-based resource for all things relating to branding, run by branding specialists Interbrand. It has features, lots of good articles, career insights and topical discussion.
Brand Institute Inc.
- A very good web-based resource for several useful articles and information about logos and branding.
- The Design and Publishing Center
- A web-based perdiodical which describes itself as "the longest running web portal site for design, typography, graphics, illustration, writing, printing, publishing, advertising, signs, displays and information for graphic communicators". Lots of useful articles.
- The McKinsey Quarterly
- Useful for researching particular industries and their branding strategies, as well as general items on branding and marketing etc.
- Video clip
- Logo design for PlantLife charity, from BBC 2 programme Into Print, Graphics, 1990 (8 minutes).
- ? 1991
- 'DDA company profiles', in Graphics World Sept/Oct p. 21-24
- Article about a design company which creates material for companies.
- ? 1992
- 'A language of colour', in Graphics World Mar/Apr p. 4-9
- Use of colour in advertising etc.
- ? 1992
- 'Creating an identity for leisure', in Graphics World Jul/Aug p. 34-35
- ? 1992
- 'Labels and labelling', in Graphics World May/Jun p. 36-39
- ? 1994
- 'Brand indentity', in Graphics World May/Jun pp.23-24
- ? 1995
- 'Charity and the Designer', in Graphics World Jan/Feb pp. 24-25
- ? 1995
- 'Shaping the face of label papers', in Graphics World Jul/Aug pp.16-18
- Design of labels on packaging.
- ? 1995
- 'EMI had a mission', in Graphics World Nov/Dec pp.16-18
- Design of EMI CDs.
- ? 1996
- 'Positive action for Scottish Heritage', in Graphics World May/June
- Design of letterheads for Scottish Heritage.
- ? 1996
- 'Great brands of our time', in Graphics World Nov-Dec p.30
- Discussion of company brand names, in particular McDonald's.
- ? 1998
- 'Michelin man: 100 years old', in Graphics World Jan/Feb pp. 8-9
- Story of the Michelin man logo, with pictures.
- ? 1999
- 'Introduce yourself...', in Graphics World Aug pp. 50-55
- Logos and design of business cards, with 45 examples. A good resource for design ideas.
- ? 2000
- "Bulletproof", in Computer Arts Aug. pp.32-38
- A profile, with examples, of the design company Bulletproof who have worked on advertising campaigns, packaging design and branding for companies such as Nike, Virgin Trains and Becks. Very good article for getting inspiration and seeing how graphic designers work and think.
- ? 2000
- "4i", in Computer Arts Oct. pp.36-42
- Company branding as practised by design company 4i, with a discussion of how branding names and logo design ideas develop.
- ? 2001
- 'Evolution of a symbol', in Graphics World May/June pp.11-12.
- Discussion about the origin of the panda logo for the World Wildlife Fund, and how it has changed since it first appeared in 1961.
- ? 2001
- 'Are brand and design managers missing a golden opportunity?', in
Graphics World Mar-Apr pp. 21-23
- Design of packaging, including typography, focussing on the over 50s market - one third of the buying market.
- ? 2002
- "Branding", in Computer Arts March. pp.42-46
- A very good article on branding. It discusses what to consider when working on branding designs as well as overall design- and marketing-related branding matters.
- ? 2003
- "Logos, branding and identities", in Computer Arts April pp. 50-51
- Company branding as practised by design company Bruce Dunlop Associates.
- Aaker, D.A. and Biel, A.L. (eds) 1993
- Brand equity and advertising: advertising's role in building strong brands 659.1 AAK
- Arvidsson, A. 2005
- Brands: meaning and value in media culture 658.827 ARV
- Aymer, G. 2005
- 'I love New York', in Computer Arts Sept. pp. 48-49
- Discussion of the design and branding of the heart logo/brand in the 'I love(heart) NY' slogan, originally produced by Milton Glaser in 1977.
- Aymer, G. 2006
- 'Levi's', in Computer Arts March pp. 46-47
- The classic Levi jeans logo and branding, history and development. Excellent Levi's website too, with information about brand history etc.
- Aymer, G. 2006
- 'In-store graphics', in Computer Arts Nov. pp. 74-79
- The design of graphic displays for inside shops and point-of-sale. How to promote a brand inside a shop through graphic design.
- Atkinson, V. 2005
- 'The Campbell's Soup label', in Computer Arts January 2005, pp.
- The history and reasons behind the success of the Campbell's Soup label and logo. Includes a discussion of Andy Warhol's famous painting of the soup cans.
- Brady, D. 1991
- 'Dutch standards: design in the public service; the Dutch ptt 1920-1990',
in Graphics World Jan/Feb p. 33-34
- Design of logos etc for the Dutch post office.
- British Airways launched a new logo and corporate identity in June 1997. They have provided information on the logos on a number of Web pages, which start at:
- Broadbent, S. 1989
- The advertising budget: the advertiser's guide to budget determination
- Useful discussion on the amount of money spent on logos and advertising.
- Brown, M. 1990
- 'When fairytales come true', in Graphics World July/Aug
- Creating logo and new identity for the Chad Valley toy company.
- Burns, M. 2005
- 'Design icon: Coca-Cola', in Computer Arts Nov. pp. 52-53
- The history and iconic status of the Coca-Cola logo and brand. Really interesting discussion, including the 'myths' surrounding the brand and its logo.
- Burns, M. 2006
- 'Guinness', in Computer Arts Jan. pp. 46-47
- The history and iconic status of the Guinness logo and brand.
- Loads of information at Coca-Cola's website.
- See Burns, M. (2005)
- History of the company, drink and discussion of the myths at www.snopes.com.cokelore
- Combe, V. 1996
- 'Church plc adopts logo to solve indentity crisis',
in The Daily Telegraph 29th October p.1 (photocopy)
- Church of England launches a new logo.
- East, R. 1997
- Consumer behaviour: advances and applications in marketing 658.834 EAS
- Escott, D. 1982
- 'Heraldry', in Graphics World Jul-Aug pp.28-31
- Article on the history of heraldry and its modern use by companies in their logos.
- Foxall, G. 1977
- Consumer behaviour: a practical guide 658.834 FOX
- Franzen, G. 1999
- Brands & advertising: how advertising effectiveness influences brand equity 659.1 FRA
- Frutiger, A. 1989
- Signs and symbols: their Design and Meaning St Luke's 001.56 FRU
- Goldman, R. & Papson, R. 1998
- Nike culture: the sign of the swoosh St Luke's 659.1 GOL
- Grant, I. 1990
- 'Eco-conscious packaging', in Graphics World Oct
- Design of packaging.
- Grant, I. 1991
- 'Purity with precision', in Graphics World Feb p.
- Examples of modern logo design using computers.
- Heskett, J. 2002
- Toothpicks and logos: design in everyday life Exeter City Library 745.2
- Hesketh-Prichard, C. 1997
- The launch of a logo - a case study of The Otter
Brewery, South Devon
- Available on the Web, by clicking on the author's name.
- Hole, I. 1995
- 'Bridging the gap between design and prepress', in Graphics World Jan/Feb pp.19-22 (design of packaging)
- Jobber, D. 1998
- Principles and practice of marketing 658.8 JOB/X
- Klein, N. 2000
- No Logo 301.242 KLE
- A much-publicised book taking an anti-logo and anti-consumerist stance. Worth a read.
- Klein, N. 2001
- 'Empowering People' Transcript of an address about logos and corporate image given by Naomi Klein to the SuperHumanism Conference, London 2001. Includes comments about her book No Logo.
- Lambie-Nairn, M. 1998
- 'Mixing oil and water', in Graphics World Jan/Feb
- The branding and marketing of TV companies.
- Ling, B. et al. 2003
- 'Components of Australian Wine Prices. How winery reputation, wine quality, region, vintage and winery size contribute to the price of varietal wines', in Australasian Marketing Journal 11.3 pp. 19-32.
- Lloyd, M. 1996
- 'Pan European Branding', in Graphics World Sept-Oct
- The problem of brand names and packaging for a product sold in more than one country.
- Lury, C. 2004
- Brands: the logos of the global economy 658.827 LUR
- Marconi, J. 2000
- The brand marketing book: creating, managing, and extending the value of your brand 658.827 MAR
- McCarron, J 2001
- 'Design as communication, not decoration', in Graphics
World Mar-Apr pp. 6-8
- Designing brand image, linking with logos.
- Morgan, F. 2000
- 'The cube that lasted', in Graphics World Jan-Feb
- The history of Oxo branding, logo and packaging.
- Mueller, B. 1996
- International advertising: communicating across
cultures 659.1 MUE
- Looks at advertising and logos.
- Murphy, J. & Rowe, M. 1988
- How to Design Trademarks and Logos 602.7 MUR
- Murphy, J. 1991
- Brand valuation 658.8 MUR
- Olins, W. 1989
- Corporate Identity: Making business strategy visible through design St Luke's 659.2 OLI
- Pavitt, J. 2000
- Brand.New 658.827 PAV/X
- Excellent discussion, full of examples, of logos, branding and commercial image. Recommended.
- Penfold, M. 2006
- 'Get started with... logo design', in Computer Arts Jan. pp. 70-75
- Very useful discussion about what to think about when designing logos. Many examples and interviews with actual designers.
- Petrie, R. 2001
- 'Magic versus logic', in Graphics World May/June
- "To be creative when renewing a brand sometimes requires the client, as well as the design agency, to think the unthinkable. The client's brief should provide the basic ingredients, but it takes the sprinkle of the designer's magic dust to cast the spell."
- Quart, A. 2004
- Branded: the buying and selling of teenagers St Luke's
- Rice, C. 1993
- Consumer behaviour: behavioural aspects of marketing 658.834 RIC
- Ricketts, E. 2005
- "Shell branding", in Computer Arts March pp. 48-50
- The history and development of the Shell petrol logo, with a discussion of the reasons behind the design changes since 1900.
- Ricketts, E. 2005
- "The MTV logo", in Computer Arts July pp. 48-49
- The history and development of the MTV (Music Television) logo.
- Romaniuk, J. et al. 2004
- 'Brand and Advertising Awareness: a replication and extension of a known empirical generalisation', in Australasian Marketing Journal 12.3 pp. 70-80.
- Schmidt, C. 2005
- "Ten ways to...get colour right", in Computer Arts Oct. pp.
74-75 library and web
- Very useful overview of associations behind colour choice, with 10 colours being featured. Ties in with branding, logos and packaging with real examples of colour usage.
- Sharpe, R. 2001
- "Copyright for illustrators", in Computer Arts Feb.
- An informative discussion about what comes under copyright as regards illustrations and text.
- Schroeder, J. E. and Salzer-Mörling, M. (eds) 2005
- Brand culture 658.827 SCH
- Smith, D. 2007
- 'The 3rd way. Corporate design', in Computer Arts July, pp. 74-77.
- The role of graphic designers in producing the visual elements of corporate brands. Examples discussed include: Orange, Brand Jordan, Green and Blacks, Castrol. With comments from Wally Olins.
- Solomon, M. et al. 1999
- Consumer behaviour: a European perspective 658.834 SOL
- Solomon, M. et al. 2002
- Consumer behaviour: a European perspective 2nd edition 658.834 SOL/X
- Spence, N. 2006
- 'Get started with... Designing for Charity', in Computer Arts May pp. 72-77
- The approach professional designers take when working on design projects for charities. Much on charging for design work, but also discussion of design approach and marketing considerations and appropriateness of design.
- Stobart, P. (ed.) 1994
- Brand power 658.827 STO
- Tate & Lyle - Golden Syrup
- The oldest brand in the UK, dating from the 1880s. History and development: http://www.lylesgoldensyrup.com
- Tutssell, G. 1995
- 'How to protect your equity', in Graphics World
- Design of logos and their protection.
- Tutsell, G. 1995
- 'Passing the screen test', in Graphics World Sept/Oct
- Design of logos for use on television screens.
- Verebelyl, N. 2000
- 'Branded by design', in Graphics World July-Aug
- Branding and product design, e.g. Dyson vacuum cleaners and Bang & Olufsen, and how design speaks to a customer.
- Wildbur, P. 1966
- Trademarks: A handbook of International Designs St Luke's 724.52
- Wildbur, P. 1988
- Information Graphics 001.51 WIL and CL
- Despite a second edition (Wildbur & Burke 1998), this remains an excellent book on the subject. Really ought to be read for all aspects of graphics design.
- Wildbur, P. & Burke M. 1998
- Information graphics: innovative solutions in contemporary design
- An excellent book on the subject. Really ought to be read for all aspects of graphics design. Is a revsied version of Wildbur (1988).
- Williams, G. 2000
- Branded? 658.8 WIL
- Wilson, A. 2000
- 'What does a symbol signifiy?', in Graphics World
Jan-Feb pp. 20-22
- Corporate branding, looking at customer reaction to logo design.
- Worthington, J. 1990
- 'Managing with design', in Graphics World May/June
- Profile of design company which designed new Rover logo.
- Worthington, D. 2000
- 'The power of graphic design', in Graphics World
Nov-Dec pp. 31-32
- The use of graphic design in branding and retail.