PLEASE NOTE: All CMIT modules have now been withdrawn,
and are unavailable for the 2010/11 academic year
These web pages and lecture notes are left as reference for those students requiring CMIT modules to complete their programme only, and are not an indication of modules currently offered.
- EC sign regulations - The text of European Directive 92/58 (1992) on the minimum requirements for the provision of safety and/or health signs at work
- UK sign regulations - This gives a brief overview, with pictures, of Health and Safety Regulations (Safety Signs and Symbols) 1996.
- Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1996 - applies to signs.
- ? 1991
- 'Signs of the times', in Graphics World Nov/Dec p. 31-32
- Sign production and typography.
- ? 1995
- 'Signs for the blind', in Graphics World Mar/Apr p. 19-20
- Computerized signs for blind people.
- ? 2005
- 'Signs of the times', in Computer Arts Nov. p. 21
- French artists in Lyon put up over 100 real-looking, but fake road signs with images on to display their art. Supported by Lyon council as an art installation. An amazing idea of road sign art. More information and magazine/newspaper articles about this at www.bopano.net/
- American Department of Transport (D.O.T.) signage
- AIGA - the American Professional Association for Design.
- DOT pictograms
- Amazing and very amusing cartoon film using only DOT pictograms.
- Bailey, R. et al. (eds) 1978
- The sign: semiotics around the world 410.5 SIG
- Ballinger, L.B. 1972
- Sign, Symbol and Form St Luke's 724.16 BAL/X
- Barthes, R. 1983
- Empire of Signs 848.9 BART
- Bennett 1984
- Signs and Symbols St Luke's J291 BEN
- Bertin, J. 1981
- Graphics and graphic information-processing translated by William J. Berg and Paul Scott 001.6443 BER
- Bisley, T. 1979
- 'Adrian..Frutiger...', in Graphics World Sept pp.22-25
- Interview with Adrian Frutiger, the leading Swiss type designer who created Univers and wrote the book Signs and Symbols.
- British Standards Institution 1967
- Letter symbols, signs and abbreviations ROB 500 BRI
- Chambers M. 2004
- 'Creating icons that really work', in Computer Arts June
- The design of signs and iconic communication. Things to think about and how to use a graphics program to achieve good design.
- Crosby et al 1970
- A Sign Sytems Manual St Luke's 722.919 CRO/X
- Culler, J. 1981
- The Pursuit of Signs: Semiotics, Literature, Deconstruction 801.95 CUL
- Dyckhoff T. 2004
- The Signs of the Time, in The Times section T2, 11th May
2004, p. 15 (photocopy)
- The history of the design of our present road sign system. Fascinating insight into the background of the system, who designed the signs and what the images were based on. The article relates to the Radio 4 programme broadcast on 11th May 2004 - see next entry in bibliography.
- Dyckhoff T. 2004
- The Signs of the Time, Radio 4 programme part of the Routemasters
series, broadcast on 11th May 2004 (11
minutes) - also available on CD in CMIT office.
- Well worth listening to. Relates to previous entry in bibliography.
- Dyer, G. 1982
- Advertising as Communication 659.1 DYE and CL 659.1
- Florence, P. 1986
- Mallarme, Manet, and Redon: visual and aural signs and the generation of meaning 848.8 MAL FLO
- Foley, J. 1993
- The Guinness Encyclopedia of Signs & Symbols 001.56 FOL
- Frutiger, A. 1989
- Signs and symbols: their Design and Meaning St Luke's 001.56 FRU and CL 302.222
- Garai, J. 1973
- The Book of Symbols St Luke's 704.946 GAR
- Get 2 testing
- Excellent web resource on many aspects of pictograms, including theory of design, lots of examples, testing results of different pictograms for the same concept to be represented. Highly recommended!
- Greimas, A. et al. (ed.) 1970
- Sign, language, culture 410.5 SIG/X
- Guiraud, P. 1975
- Semiology 410.5 GUI
- Gray, N. 1960
- Lettering on Buildings St Luke's 724.56 GRA
- Harverson, P. 1972
- Signs and Signals St Luke's J001.5 PEN
- Johnson, E.D. 1973
- Communication 027.009 JOH
- Kepes, G. (ed.) 1966
- Sign, image and symbol 701.17 KEP/X
- Kinneir and Calvert 2006
- Jock Kinneir + Margaret Calvert. Graphic Designers (1917-1994) +
(1936-) Designing Modern Britain -
- Excellent article, with useful illustrations about the two designers and the development of currently used British road signs. Relates to a special exhibition on road signs by the London Design Museum in 2006.
- Mitchell, W. 1986
- Iconology: image, text, ideology 809.915 MIT
- Modley, R. 1976
- Handbook of Pictorial Symbols: 3,250 Examples from International Sources St Luke's 001.56 MOD
- Morgan, J. & Welton, P. 1986
- See what I mean : an introduction to visual communication St Luke's
- Very good discussion of pictograms and problems of cummunicating to different cultures etc.
- Penfold, M. 2005
- "Get started with...Semiotics", in Computer Arts Feb. pp. 68-72
- The relationship between images and their meaning - semiotics clearly explained, with very good examples.
- Penfold, M. 2005
- "The Mac Icons", in Computer Arts Oct. pp. 52-53
- Discussion of the original Apple Mac computer icons used on the screen for programs and how they were designed. Interesting comments about the restrictions of screen-based design for pictograms.
- Reynolds, L. and Barrett, S. 1980
- Signs and guiding for libraries 025.5 REY
- Rossi, I. 1983
- From the sociology of symbols to the sociology of signs: toward a dialectical sociology 301.01 ROS
- Sears, N. 2004
40 Years, The Girl On The School Sign Steps Out
- Fascinating article about Margaret Calvert, who designed many of our present road signs, in the 1960s. Interesting background material to the reasons and sources for some of the pictures used. Picture of Calvert herself. Originally published in the Daily Mail 29/5/2004.
- Spinks, C. 1991
- Semiosis, marginal signs and trickster: a dagger of the mind 001.56 SPI
- Teifenbrun, S.W. 1980
- Signs of the Hidden: Semiotic Studies 840.94 TIE
- Wildbur, P. 1988
- Information Graphics: a survey of typographic, diagrammatic and
cartographic communication 001.51 WIL and in CL
- Vital reading for any essay or critique on signs and pictograms, despite there being a late later version of the book (see next item in bibliography), as this one deals with different subjects in a way that will never date.
- Wildbur, P. & Burke, M. 1998
- Information Graphics: innovative solutions in
contemporary design 001.51 WIL
- This is basically the second edition of Wildbur's book of 1988 (see previous item in bibliography), but is quite different in content from the earlier book.